Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Brooke Hunter

Today, people find so many different ways to entertain themselves. Recently, millions of people have taken to making short videos of themselves or others and posting them online for the world to see. Besides the ever-popular "YouTube," there is a semi-new app. called "Vine" that allows anyone to film a short video on their smart phone and post it for everyone to see in just seconds.

Vine's history is a rather short one. It was introduced earlier this year, but it did not take long for it to become one of the largest app. market growth stories. With most of its success in Norway, Vine is a top ten iPhone app. in seven different countries.

Vine videos are easily recognized by society. For those who have not downloaded the app. to their phone, Vine has its very own Facebook and shares users' posts quite frequently. These videos are typically humorous which makes them well-liked by many. The Vine phenomenon is a great illustration of the functionalist theory. Vines often consist of re-enactments of things that certain groups of people do, or daily struggles and annoyances that most people can relate to. That relatability helps create a unity amongst people.

In my paper, I will analyze the Vine phenomenon as well as other apps. that are similar to it. I will expand on the history of Vine, and elaborate on its connection to the functionalist theory.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the connection to the Functional Approach. It definitely brings social cohesion-- there have been so many times that I've had a friend text me to tell me to check out a vine video, or I'll have a friend send me one in a message on Facebook. It brings about a lot of laughs together. Also, ever since Vine has been big... I find myself only having a 6 second attention span. If a video is any longer, I tend to not even look at it. -Christiana Tejeda

    ReplyDelete